The following two words will change your life:
Coined "the ancient drink of health and friendship"mate is a tea that is a staple in South America. Why do I grab this every morning? Because I literally am not the same person without it. Mate energizes the body and stimulates the nervous system. It's sort of like a natural form of adderol, except you don't have to cry ADD to get this. Mate does contain natural caffeine but it also contains liberal amounts of xanthine which increases one's ability to concentrate. (Amazing for a college student slaving over a paper at 4 AM in the morning). So yes, I need this to be on point, but there are so many other health benefits.
- Suppresses appetite and controls metabolism. Used by many for weight control.
- Eases menstrual cramps when drank regularly, and in a major way. (This, for many women, should be a reason for drinking it alone. )
- Strengthens the immune system and the body's ability to heal.
- Fights depression. Literally... makes you feel good.
- Allergy and asthma relief.
- Relieves stress.
- Cleanses colon... yes, some people like to keep it regular.
I've introduced my friends and dad to this and they all say the same thing: What was life before mate?
So next time you feel like making a Starbucks run, op for Mate. You may never turn back.
Here in New Haven it can be purchased at the Koffee 2. It's also sold at places that have extensive tea collections. It can be found at holistic and health food stores and also at Whole Foods. You can also purchase yerba mate on line at http://www.nativayerbamate.com/. This site contains a wealth of additional info about the tea that will change your life.