Read Smoke!

Read Smoke!
My latest book, "Smoke: poems of love, longing and ecstasy" is available for purchase on Amazon in e-book and paperback. Click book for link.

Friday, June 6, 2008

Serena Williams' Provacative Pose on Ebony Magazine Cover


Let me first say that I love Serena Williams and her body. She is beautiful and the epitome of the brick house diva. However, I do not love the editor who chose this picture as the one to grace the cover of Ebony Magazine. Come on now, I'm sure they shot her head on, sitting, and in a host of other positions. Why choose the one with her back side propped forward?! It's not that she doesn't look fantastic. She does. It's just that it reminds me of another crass XXL magazine cover (booty before face) and it seems like a ploy by Ebony to sell more at the news stands. There is a more sophisticated way to show off a curvaceous, athletic black woman's body. The wild sexualization of Black women, especially by Black publications, is ubiquitous and I'm disappointed at Ebony Magazine for further exploiting such an image. Feel free to disagree.

Flyness and funk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, i love her but not the pose!I am so disappointed with Ebony.